Please note the following important schedule information:
1. This Tuesday, April 2 we will have a presentation by Alley Pond Environmental Center (“APEC”) introducing us to several different animals! The presentation will be made in our classroom.
2. Friday, April 5 Pre-K for All has a full day; Grades N, K-8 will have early dismissal for a faculty meeting. Afterschool is available as regularly scheduled;
3. Wednesday, April 17 is an 11:30 AM dismissal for all students including Pre-K for All. Beginning Thursday, April 18, Sacred Heart Catholic Academy will close for Easter Break; all classes, including Pre-K for All, are cancelled. The school will re-open for classes on Monday, April 29, 2019.
4. Pre-K Religion classes will be held every Tuesday and Thursday, from 8:10 to 8:25 AM in Mrs. Wunsch’s room. Please arrive in our room between 8:00 and 8:10 to hang coats, drop off folders, and sign in before crossing the hall to Mrs. Wunsch’s room. For those who are not taking this class, the usual arrival routine applies.
5. Please make sure your child has a complete change of seasonally appropriate clothes in his/her bin, thank you.
What We’re Learning:
This week we are studying Week 4 of Unit 7: Water. We will focus on the following concepts:
1. Where can we find water?
2. What happens to water when it changes temperature?
3. What happens when we put things in water?
4. How does water help us?
By the end of the unit children will understand that:
1. Water is all around us;
2. Water changes depending on how warm or cold it is;
3. Some things float in water and some things sink;
4. Some things change when you put them in water;
5. All living things need water.
The children very much enjoyed the Sink or Float experiments we did last week as well as Rain in a Jar experiment the prior week. This week we will put celery stalks in colored water to see what happens! The March/April Mystery Reader Sign-Up sheet is posted by the door for those who would like to read to us, thanks!
Finally, please help your child practice at home correctly signing their name using both upper and lower cases, initial letter capital, the rest lower case, thank you. Please also practice putting on and taking off coats and jackets; we are learning how to zipper and button and we need to practice at home, too!
Some centers we will work in:
Dramatic Play, Art, Science, Math, Blocks, Sand & Water (Sensory), and Transportation.
Vocabulary words for the week include:
Clean, drink, hydrate, perspiration, quench, sweat, thirst, wash.
Nothing this week.
Books we will read this week:
Water Can Be… by Laura Purdie Salas.
PK.PDH.1: Uses senses to assist and guide learning; PK.PDH.5: Demonstrates hand-eye coordination and dexterity needed to manipulate objects; PK.AL.5 (Approaches to Communication): Demonstrates persistence; PK.CLL.1(Speaking & Listening): With guidance & support, participates in collaborative conversations with Pre-K partners about Pre-K topic and textsPK.CLL.4: Demonstrates s/he building background knowledge; PK.ATL.3: Approaches tasks, activities, and problems with creativity, imagination, and/or willingness to try new experiences or activities; PK.CLL.4 (Approaches to Learning): Demonstrates ability to express ideas using a variety of methods,; PK.CKW.1 (The Arts): Expresses self & represents what s/he knows thinks, believes and feels through visual arts; PK.CKW.1 (Science): Asks questions and makes predictions based on observations and manipulation of objects in the environment; PK.CKW.2 (Science): Tests predictions through exploration and experimentation; PK.CKW.4(Science): Observes & describes characteristics of earth and space; PK.CKW.4 (Counting and Cardinality): Count to answer “How many?” questions; PK.CKW.5 (Counting & Cardinality): Identify whether a group of objects is greater/fewer than, or equal to another group of objects; Centers: PK.SED.5: Demonstrates pro-social problem solving skills in social interactions; PK.SED.4: Develops positive relationships with their peers.