A Note to Parents:
Please note the following important schedule information:
1. Wednesday, April 17 is an 11:30 AM dismissal for all students including Pre-K for All; NO AFTERSCHOOL AVAILABLE. Please make arrangements to pick up your child at 11:30 AM on Wednesday, April 17. Beginning Thursday, April 18, Sacred Heart Catholic Academy will close for Easter Break; all classes, including Pre-K for All, are cancelled. The school will re-open for classes on Monday, April 29, 2019.
2. Wednesday, April 17 we will celebrate Spring with a special snack. Please send in treats by Tuesday, April 16.
3. Wednesday, May 8 is a Professional Development Day for the Pre-K staff. There will be NO PRE-K this day.
4. Pre-K Religion classes will be held every Tuesday and Thursday, from 8:10 to 8:25 AM in Mrs. Wunsch’s room. Please arrive in our room between 8:00 and 8:10 to hang coats, drop off folders, and sign in before crossing the hall to Mrs. Wunsch’s room. For those who are not taking this class, the usual arrival routine applies.
5. Please make sure your child has a complete change of seasonally appropriate clothes in his/her bin, thank you.
What We’re Learning:
This week we continue our study of Unit 8: Plants. We will focus on the following concepts:
1. What are plants? We will begin to look at the parts of plants.
2. What do plants need and where do we find them? (Soil, Water, Light)
3. What are some different kinds of plants?
4. Why are plants important?
By the end of the unit children will understand that:
1. Plants are living things; every part of a plant has an important function;
2. Plants grow from seeds and need water, nutrients(soil), and light to live;
3. Plants are all around us;
4. There are many different kinds of plants;
5. Plants are important for many reasons.
We were all excited to see how our celery turned red or blue (depending on the water color) after we put the freshly cut, flowered stalks in colored water! The red color was very noticeable. The children were able to see how the celery “drank” the water as well as how it traveled from the stem to the leaves. The May/June Mystery Reader Sign-Up sheet is posted by the door for those who would like to read to us, thanks!
Finally, please help your child practice at home correctly signing their name using both upper and lower cases, initial letter capital, the rest lower case, thank you. Please also practice putting on and taking off coats and jackets; we are learning how to zipper and button and we need to practice at home, too!
Some centers we will work in:
Dramatic Play, Art, Science, Math, Blocks, Sand & Water (Sensory), and Transportation.
Vocabulary words for the week include:
Botanist, bouquet, courtyard, environment, farm, field, farmers, forest, forester, floral arrangement, florist, gardener, ground, landscape, lawn, nature, nursery, park, patio, terrarium, vegetation, yard.
Nothing this week!
Books we will read this week:
The Curious Garden, by Peter Brown.
PK.PDH.1: Uses senses to assist and guide learning; PK.PDH.5: Demonstrates hand-eye coordination and dexterity needed to manipulate objects; PK.AL.5 (Approaches to Communication): Demonstrates persistence; PK.CLL.1(Speaking & Listening): With guidance & support, participates in collaborative conversations with Pre-K partners about Pre-K topic and textsPK.CLL.4: Demonstrates s/he building background knowledge; PK.ATL.3: Approaches tasks, activities, and problems with creativity, imagination, and/or willingness to try new experiences or activities; PK.CLL.4 (Approaches to Learning): Demonstrates ability to express ideas using a variety of methods,; PK.CKW.1 (The Arts): Expresses self & represents what s/he knows thinks, believes and feels through visual arts; PK.CKW.1 (Science): Asks questions and makes predictions based on observations and manipulation of objects in the environment; PK.CKW.2 (Science): Tests predictions through exploration and experimentation; PK.CKW.4(Science): Observes & describes characteristics of earth and space; PK.CKW.4 (Counting and Cardinality): Count to answer “How many?” questions; PK.CKW.5 (Counting & Cardinality): Identify whether a group of objects is greater/fewer than, or equal to another group of objects; Centers: PK.SED.5: Demonstrates pro-social problem solving skills in social interactions; PK.SED.4: Develops positive relationships with their peers.
Have a safe and restful break, see you when we return on Monday, April 29!