A Note to Parents:
Please note the following important schedule information:
1. Wednesday, April 17 is an 11:30 AM dismissal for all students including Pre-K for All; NO AFTERSCHOOL AVAILABLE. Please make arrangements to pick up your child at 11:30 AM on Wednesday, April 17. Beginning Thursday, April 18, Sacred Heart Catholic Academy will close for Easter Break; all classes, including Pre-K for All, are cancelled. The school will re-open for classes on Monday, April 29, 2019.
2. Wednesday, April 17 we will celebrate Spring with a special snack. Please send in treats by Tuesday, April 16.
3. Pre-K Religion classes will be held every Tuesday and Thursday, from 8:10 to 8:25 AM in Mrs. Wunsch’s room. Please arrive in our room between 8:00 and 8:10 to hang coats, drop off folders, and sign in before crossing the hall to Mrs. Wunsch’s room. For those who are not taking this class, the usual arrival routine applies.
4. Please make sure your child has a complete change of seasonally appropriate clothes in his/her bin, thank you.
What We’re Learning:
This week we begin our study of Unit 8: Plants. We will focus on the following concepts:
1. What are plants? We will begin to look at the parts of plants.
2. What do plants need and where do we find them? (Soil, Water, Light)
3. What are some different kinds of plants?
4. Why are plants important?
By the end of the unit children will understand that:
1. Plants are living things; every part of a plant has an important function;
2. Plants grow from seeds and need water, nutrients(soil), and light to live;
3. Plants are all around us;
4. There are many different kinds of plants;
5. Plants are important for many reasons.
The children had a wonderful time with Ms. Esther from APEC who brought us Sam the box turtle, Chi Chi the corn snake, Julie the ring neck dove, and Quinn the rabbit. The children were able to pet the animals and we learned many interesting facts about each animal. This week we will learn about the parts of a plant and we will see what happens to celery when we put it in colored water! The May/June Mystery Reader Sign-Up sheet is posted by the door for those who would like to read to us, thanks!
Finally, please help your child practice at home correctly signing their name using both upper and lower cases, initial letter capital, the rest lower case, thank you. Please also practice putting on and taking off coats and jackets; we are learning how to zipper and button and we need to practice at home, too!
Some centers we will work in:
Dramatic Play, Art, Science, Math, Blocks, Sand & Water (Sensory), and Transportation.
Vocabulary words for the week include:
Botany, branch, bud, bulb, dirt, flower, food, fruit, grow, leaves, nutrients, petals, plant, pollen, rain, roots, seed, seedling, soil, sprinkler, sprout, stem, sunlight, trunk, vine, water, watering can.
Poster: Three Things Plants Need to Live (see attached).
Books we will read this week:
Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt by Kate Messner.
PK.PDH.1: Uses senses to assist and guide learning; PK.PDH.5: Demonstrates hand-eye coordination and dexterity needed to manipulate objects; PK.AL.5 (Approaches to Communication): Demonstrates persistence; PK.CLL.1(Speaking & Listening): With guidance & support, participates in collaborative conversations with Pre-K partners about Pre-K topic and textsPK.CLL.4: Demonstrates s/he building background knowledge; PK.ATL.3: Approaches tasks, activities, and problems with creativity, imagination, and/or willingness to try new experiences or activities; PK.CLL.4 (Approaches to Learning): Demonstrates ability to express ideas using a variety of methods,; PK.CKW.1 (The Arts): Expresses self & represents what s/he knows thinks, believes and feels through visual arts; PK.CKW.1 (Science): Asks questions and makes predictions based on observations and manipulation of objects in the environment; PK.CKW.2 (Science): Tests predictions through exploration and experimentation; PK.CKW.4(Science): Observes & describes characteristics of earth and space; PK.CKW.4 (Counting and Cardinality): Count to answer “How many?” questions; PK.CKW.5 (Counting & Cardinality): Identify whether a group of objects is greater/fewer than, or equal to another group of objects; Centers: PK.SED.5: Demonstrates pro-social problem solving skills in social interactions; PK.SED.4: Develops positive relationships with their peers.