A Note to Parents:\
Please note the following important schedule information:
1. Monday, January 28 – Superhero Day! Students may wear Super Hero tee shirts as we continue our celebration. Note: NO COSTUMES, TEE SHIRTS ONLY PLEASE!
2. Friday, Feb.1, 2019, is 11:30 AM dismissal for all students, including Pre-K. After School is available from 11:30 onward. If you intend to use After School, please pack a sandwich and drink for you child as the cafeteria will not be open. Please also let me know in order that I may get a head count for After School, thank you.
3. The week of Monday, February 18, 2019, Sacred Heart School, including Pre-K for All, will be closed for Winter Break. School will reopen on Monday, February 25, 2019.
4. Pre-K Religion classes will be held every Tuesday and Thursday, from 8:10 to 8:25 AM in Mrs. Wunsch’s room. Please arrive in our room between 8:00 and 8:10 to hang coats, drop off folders, and sign in before crossing the hall to Mrs. Wunsch’s room. For those who are not taking this class, the usual arrival routine applies.
What We’re Learning:
This week we are on Week 4, the final week of our Transportation Unit of Study. We will focus on the following concepts:
1. Week 1: What kinds of transportation do I use and why?
2. Week 2: How are various modes of transportation similar and different?
3. Week 3: Who operates the vehicles in my community?
4. Week 4: How do we stay safe when using transportation?
Please bring in any expired Metro cards, LIRR tickets, etc. which we will use in our Dramatic Play Center as we explore our Transportation unit, thank you in advance.
By the end of the unit children will understand that we use transportation to get to pre-K and other places; we use different types of transportation for different reasons; vehicles move in different ways; some vehicles are operated by community helpers such as bus drivers, conductors, firefighters, police officers, and mail carriers; and there are many ways to stay safe when using transportation. Our Transportation Poster FEP was due last Friday. You can bring your poster in any day this week if you have not turned it in yet. The January/February Mystery Reader Sign-Up sheet is posted by the door for those who would like to read to us, thanks!
Some centers we will work in:
Dramatic Play, Art, Science, Math, Blocks, Sand & Water (Sensory), and Transportation.
Vocabulary words for the week include:
Accident, emergency, safety, seat belt, speed limit, stop, traffic light, traffic signs, yield.
FEP: There is no FEP for this week.
Books we will read this week:
Go, Go, Go, Stop! By Cherise Mericle Harper.
PK.PDH.9 (Physical Development & Health): Demonstrates awareness and understanding of safety rules; PK.PDH.5: Demonstrates hand-eye coordination and dexterity needed to manipulate objects; PK.AL.4 (Approaches to Communication): Demonstrates ability to express ideas using a variety of methods; PK.CLL.1 (Language): Demonstrates a command of the conventions of standard English grammar through speech/writing; PK.AL.3: Approaches tasks, activities, and problems with creativity, imagination, and/or willingness to try new experiences or activities; PK.CLL.4 (Approaches to Learning): Demonstrates ability to express ideas using a variety of methods,; PK.CKW.1 (Soc.Studies): Develops a basic awareness of self as an individual within the context of a family and within the context of a community; PK.CKW.3 (Social Studies): Demonstrates a knowledge of the relationship between people, places & regions. PK.CKW.4 (Counting and Cardinality): Count to answer “How many?” questions; PK.CKW.5 (Counting & Cardinality): Identify whether a group of objects is greater/fewer than, or equal to another group of objects; PK.CKW.8: Demonstrates interest & awareness about a wide variety of careers & work environments. Centers: PK.SED.5: Demonstrates pro-social problem solving skills in social interactions; PK.SED.4: Develops positive relationships with their peers.