We had a great week last week and we experienced our first Fire Drill! A few housekeeping notes:
1) Sept. 30 & Oct. 1 – Sacred Heart is open for class, we will have school both days;
2) October 4 – Pre K for All has a full day schedule although the rest of the school has an early dismissal.
At dismissal, please wait in the courtyard, not on the step, by the door and we will dismiss your child right after Nursery class is finished. If you will be using After School, please let us know at drop off in the morning. Drop off is from 8:10 through 8:25 am from the 217th Street entrance and pick up is at 2:45 pm from the same entrance. Please remember at drop off to put your child’s folder in the orange bin and the office papers in the red tray next to it. Every child should have a folder with their name on it. Please remember to label all backpacks, water bottles, blankets, folders, and clothes with your child’s name. If you have not already done so, please bring in a complete change of clothes for your child in a labeled, Ziploc bag.
Once in the classroom, please help your child wash their hands before signing in; after sign-in they may play at any of the puzzles or table top toys left out for this purpose. Remember if you wish to provide a substitute meal for your child, this is a nut free classroom therefore no foods with nuts, Nutella, or other nut products may be brought into the classroom; thank you for your cooperation. Finally, please note that the Mystery Reader Sign-Up Sheet has been posted on the clipboard along with the voluntary class contact spreadsheet.
What We’re Learning:
This week we will continue our study of Unit 1: Welcome to Pre-K. We will focus on the following concepts over the next four weeks:
1. What will I learn and do in Pre-K?
2. What do I bring to my classroom community?
3. Who are the people in my classroom community?
4. Who else is in my school?
By the end of the unit children will understand that:
1. My classroom and program are safe places where I learn, play and have fun.
2. I am an important member of my class. My thoughts, needs, ideas and abilities matter.
3. My family, my teachers and other children make up my classroom community; their backgrounds, thoughts, needs, ideas and abilities matter.
4. The teachers and adults in my program keep me safe, care about me and support my learning.
5. In my classroom I use materials carefully and make choices about where I work and play.
6. Classroom rules and routines help me learn and stay safe.
This week we will be learning about feelings and how each one of us is a very special member of our classroom community. We will make a class book and we will also talk about Fall/Autumn and the changes we will be observing. In addition we will review class rules, fire drills, emergency drills, schedules and how we work with our Centers.
Finally, please help your child practice at home correctly signing their name using both upper and lower cases: initial letter capital, the rest lower case, thank you. Please also practice putting on and taking off coats and jackets; we are learning how to zipper and button and we need to practice at home, too!
Some centers we will work in:
Dramatic Play, Art, Science, Math, Blocks, Sensory, and Transportation.
Vocabulary words for the week include:
Classmates, community, friends, peers, sharing, taking turns
FEP: Please see attached directions for Our Family Tree. Due Friday, 9/27.
Books we will read this week:
Llama Llama Misses Mama, by Anna Dewdney.
PK.PDH.9 (Physical Dev. & Health): Demonstrates awareness & understanding of safety rules;PK.SED.1:Recognizes self as a unique individual with own abilities, characteristics, feelings & interests; PK.SED.6 (Social & Emotional Dev.): Understands & follows rules & routines; PK.CLL.1(Reading Standards for Literature): With support, can ask & provide details in a text; PK.AL.1 (Approaches to Learning): Actively & confidently engages in play as a means of exploration & learning; PK.AL.4(Approaches to Learning): Exhibits curiosity, interest & willingness in learning new things& having new experiences.PK.CKW.1: Develops basic awareness of self in context of family & community.